This State Reformed Church in the former island-town of Wolphaartsdijk (part of the Dutch province of Zeeland) is different from all the others.
It has become a special attraction for the many tourists that come here for sailing or fishing. Thanks to a big enclosing dam, there is now a great lake close by.
There had been a church once on this spot (1350 A.D.) but that had to be broken down in 1805 because it was in such a deplorable state. The Session decided to offer a prize of 250 Guilders for the best drawing for a new, bigger church. A design of two architects from Amsterdam, Messrs. Hana and Smits, was chosen as the best plan. On May 13, 1862 the first stone was laid by a young boy, Egbert Petrus Lenshoek.
On Sunday September 21, 1862, the doors of the new white building in pure Byzantyne style were opened for the first service of the large congregation.
The church is now part of the Samen Op Weg union (“together on our way”) of the State Reformed, Synodal Reformed and Lutheran churches in The Netherlands.