These are Bullinger’s Rules of Conduct for his son who was going away to Vienna to continue his theological studies. Let us who are attending college or High School attempt to make these rules our own, especially if we leave the protecting care and guidance of our parents.
1. Fear God at all times and remember that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
2. Humble yourself before God and pray to Him alone through Christ, our only Mediator and Advocate.
3. Believe firmly that God has done all for our salvation through His Son.
4. Pray above all things for strong faith active in love.
5. Pray that God may protect your good name and keep thee from sin, sickness and bad company.
6. Pray for the fatherland, for your dear parents, benefactors, friends and all men, for the spread of the Word of God; conclude always with the Lord’s Prayer…
7. Be reticent, be always more willing to hear than to speak and do not meddle with things which you do not understand.
8. Study diligently…history, philosophy and the sciences but especially the New Testament and read daily three chapters in the Bible beginning with Genesis.
9. Keep your body clean and unspotted, be neat in your dress and avoid above all things intemperance in eating and drinking.
10. Let your conversation be decent, cheerful, moderate and free from all un-charitableness.