Reformation in Hull

While the Protests against those in the Christian Reformed Church who were defiling the Word of God were being treated in the East, God also moved the hearts of men elsewhere to take a stand for the pure truth. For this reason Rev. H. Hoeksema was invited in the Spring of 1925 to speak on the differences which had arisen in the Churches.

Rev. Hoeksema came to Hull, Iowa with Candidate Verhill. They held a series of lectures and discussion in the Town Hall at Hull, Iowa.

On March 16, 1925 a meeting was held at the home of one of the brethren for the purpose of taking action. Much was accomplished at this meeting. A new congregation, The Protesting Christian Reformed Church of Hull, Iowa was formed. The new congregation consisted of thirty-two families and ten individuals. Four elders and four deacons were elected and ordained at this same meeting. They also made a trio from which B.J. Danhof , who later accepted, was called. This all was to be taken up at the Synod of 1926.

Events moved swiftly for this new congregation in its first years of existence. On April 27, 1925, lots were bought and in May it was decided that a new church should be built. The church was finished and dedicated in the Fall of 1925.

Early in 1926 trouble began to brew in the newly-formed Protestant Churches. Seemingly the devil had gained an easy entrance in the hearts of some of the men who sought their own glory, but not the glory of God. This trouble was likely God’s way of weeding out the easy comers and strengthening the earnest.

The real trouble in Hull began when Rev. B.J. Danhof published in the local paper that the Hull Church was independent from the other Protesting Churches and was considering a new name. This trouble nearly meant the end for this flourishing congregation.

On February 28, 1927, God again called together a small but determined group. At this time the Protesting Christian Reformed Church was re-organized with 12 families and 5 individuals, slightly less than one-third of the first congregation. At this meeting two elders and two deacons were elected and ordained. The congregation got the church with a $11,000.00 debt. Student L. Vermeer led this first meeting at which also a trio was made.

Student Verhil was called. He accepted and was ordained in the Fall of 1927. He labored in the congregation for two years after which he returned to finish his studies for the ministry.

Rev. C. Hanko was called in the Summer of 1929. He labored amongst the flock for six years, during which time God abundantly blessed and increased the congregation. The number of families in the church had doubled to twenty four when Rev. Hanko left in 1935.

On February 17, 1935, Rev. L. Vermeer was installed as minister. Since that time the meetings were held in the auditorium because the basement had become too small for the growing congregation. Rev. Vermeer left on August 30, 1938 to labor in South Holland, Illinois. On December 1, 1938 Rev. A. Cammenga was installed as minister of the Hull Protestant Reformed Church.

At the time of this writing the congregation has grown in size to fifty-two families embracing 263 souls. Three ministers have come forth from its midst, namely the Reverends Martin Gritters, Peter Vis and John Blankespoor. Thirty of our men have heeded the call of their country during the last war, two of whom God has seen fit to take from this life.

From every side God’s blessing appears to be on the congregation. May He give us grace to ever look to Him for guidance that we may not grow lax, but to always adhere to the pure doctrine as taught in the Word of God.