On August 15, 1944, Rev. C. Hanko, pastor of the Oak Lawn, Illinois, Protestant Reformed Church preached his first sermon expounding the Protestant Reformed truth in the pavilion of the Randolph. Wisconsin village park. Previous to that Sunday evening Rev. Hanko had visited several families who were known to be interested in our doctrine, and who had promised to attend should he conduct services. Others, too, hearing about this new movement, came to hear, and some requested Rev. Hanko to pay them a visit.
In September, we were able to rent the very attractive Congregational church building. The Congregationalists hold services only in the morning, leaving the building vacant for us afternoon and evenings.
That winter we began to hold Monday evening meetings at the homes of various families. The minister, who had occupied the pulpit on Sunday would lead an hour of Bible study, and after a short recess, there would be an hour of general discussion, and refreshments. They were pleasant and instructive evenings. It was at one of these meetings in the early spring of 1943 that the subject of organizing was brought up. All those who were interested in organizing were asked to sign a petition. There were only six signatures that evening, and it was decided it would be best not to do anything at present.
However, the Mission Committee, apparently did not feel that they could leave those of us who were truly interested in the truth, “high and dry” and they continued to send ministers.
On July 27. 1943 another meeting was held for all those who were interested in organizing. This time there were eight families, and although the group was still very small, and in spite of all the problems we knew we would have to face it was decided that we would organize on August 17, 1943. On the evening the Randolph Protestant Reformed Church was organized, three young men, who had expressed a desire to organize, but who were not communicant members of the churches from which they came, made public confession of faith. After the business of the evening was finished the ladies of the newly organized church served refreshments.
In November a congregational meeting was held, at which time a call was extended to Rev. G. Lubbers of Pella, Iowa. In December we were gladdened by the news that Rev. Lubbers had accepted the call. On January 27, he and his family arrived in Randolph. On Friday evening we welcomed them into our midst, with a reception. Rev. Hanko was also present at this reception, and on Sunday, January 30. he installed Rev. Lubbers into office. He spoke on the subject: “Keeping the Ministry of the Lord”, basing his sermon on Col. 4:7. In the evening our newly installed pastor had charge of the services, addressing us on the subject: “Giving Heed to the Prophetic Word”, based on 2 Peter 1:19.
There are many who predict that “we won’t last long”, but we are convinced that this is a work of God and not of man. So our prayer is that our God, Who has revealed to us this rich and wonderful doctrine of salvation will bless us, and our new pastor, and that we may not lose this first love that we now enjoy. We have ten families now, and number forty-one souls.