A part of the British Isles, called England, was in fact founded by the Roman Julius Caesar in 55 BC. But in 43 AC emperor Claudius came with a big army and took possession of the land. The Romans remained there till the year 400. The first Christians entered England probably in 177.
The missionary Wilfrid (634-709) later became famous. This chapel is named after him. Because of a conflict this chapel is only half of the original building. In 1864 part of the congregation dismantled the chancel stone by stone and rebuilt it two miles further on. The chapel was restored in 1917.