On September 24, 1997, 1000 Dutch Christians (Reformed) went to sing in the City Church of Wittenberg (Germany), where Dr. Martin Luther preached in his day.
“A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” has sounded there, and many other hymns and psalms, heard and seen on the television in The Netherlands, and all over Europe.
This was organized by the “Evangelische Omroep” (the Dutch Christian Broadcasting Company, which should not be mixed up with the movement of the Evangelicals in the USA, because this name was only chosen by the Reformed people to make a distinction with the Roman Catholic Broadcasters), which is supported by more than a million people.
Organizing all the technical appliances took a lot of time in advance. Microphones, loudspeakers, spotlights, had to be placed where they would not hinder the television cameras, etc.
The conductor was Jan Q. Zwart, with Martin Zonnenberg at the old Sauer Organ. Accompaniment by the young flutists Marjolein de Wit and Kees Alers, plus Wim Stok with a bassoon.
The director of the “Evangelische Omroep,” Rev. A. van der Veer, opened the event with a meditation.
The whole company also made use of the opportunity to admire the Palace Church (remember the 95 theses nailed to the Church door) and the house where Dr. Martin Luther lived with his family (a former monastery of the Benedictines).